About WIA #40
Acadiana Works, Inc. is a private non-profit organization funded by the local Workforce Investment Board #40.
As the “one-stop operator” of the Workforce Investment Act, we offer access to a wide variety of workforce and related services in several convenient locations throughout south Louisiana.
Job seekers and employers may utilize our centers for your employment and career needs.
The purpose of Title I of the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA) is to provide workforce investment activities that increase the employment, retention and earnings of participants, and increase occupational skill attainment by participants. This will improve the quality of the workforce, reduce welfare dependency, and enhance the productivity and competitiveness of the nation’s economy.
Acadiana Works provides NO-COST services through the local area Business and Career Solutions Centers. Core Services are generally self-directed services and include job search and placement assistance including career counseling, use of computers, printers, internet, copiers, telephones, and fax machines for job-search related activities. These services are available to all job seekers and include:
- Orientation to information and other services available through the one-stop delivery system
- Initial assessment of skill levels, aptitudes, abilities, and supportive services needs
- Job Search and Job Placement Assistance
- Information on training providers including technical colleges and universities with descriptions of courses, information on tuition and duration of training.
- Information on filing unemployment insurance claims.
- Computer assisted services and information assists with:
* Basic Skills Enhancement (Increases Reading and Math levels quickly).
* Job Listings (Statewide and National).
* Aptitude Assessments (To find out what type of employment suits you best).
- On an as-needed basis, clients may require intensive services which may include:
* Comprehensive and specialized assessments.
* Development of an individual training plan.
* Group counseling.
* Case management.
Training Services are available to eligible individuals. Through Training Services, individuals can attend approved schools to earn secondary education certification or skills upgrading where Workforce Investment Act funds may pay up to 50% of the employee’s wages during a specified training period. Enrollment is done on a case by case basis. Training services include:
- Occupational Skills Training in a variety of high demand occupations in two years or less through Louisiana Technical Colleges and Universities. WIA may pay a portion of tuition, books and supplies.
- On-the-Job Training (O.J.T.) – Tired of answering job ads which require years of experience? No experience is necessary with O.J.T. WIA along with private employers strive to increase employment opportunities for the economically disadvantaged and the dislocated worker population.
- Skill upgrading and retraining.
- Entrepreneurial training.
- Job readiness training.